We focus on a number of topic areas identified by state health policy leaders as important to population health.
Keep up with news and updates from the Milbank Memorial Fund. Get the latest from thought leaders, including Christopher F. Koller, president of the Fund.
We publish The Milbank Quarterly, as well as reports, issues briefs, and case studies on topics important to population health.
The Center for Evidence-based Policy at Oregon Health & Science University is a national leader in evidence-based decision making and policy design.
The Milbank Memorial Fund is an endowed operating foundation that publishes The Milbank Quarterly, commissions projects, and convenes state health policy decision makers on issues they identify as important to population health.
Policymakers are often presented with evidence. This tool provides state leaders with questions to ask when thinking about evidence or when advocates present them with evidence.
Questions to ask yourself:
1. Does this study really apply to the problem that I want to address?
2. What is the quality of the evidence? Based on this evidence, how confident should I be that the program will produce the benefit I’m looking for?
3. Who produced the evidence? Are there conflicts of interest that should make me doubt its reliability?
Questions to ask advocates:
4. What about other studies? Do they support your position or have different outcomes?
5. What exactly was the intervention in the study that produced the results? Could anything besides the intervention have happened to influence the results (environmental effects, economy, etc.)?
6. Who are other stakeholders on this issue (providers, patients, payers, government agencies) and are there other interpretations they would make of the data?
Get the Latest from the Milbank Memorial Fund